Midwood Maynia is Plaza Midwood’s official event to welcome warmer weather, the blossoms of spring and the beginning of the outdoor festival season. Who wouldn’t want to celebrate spring in our neighborhood with the great weather, fun music, food, beer, a parade and a tour of some of Midwood’s wonderful homes?
Please join friends, family, neighbors, artisans and many of our local businesses in beautiful Midwood Park for the annual Midwood Maynia festival. Always held on the first full weekend in May, the 2018 festivities will take place on Saturday, May 5th with our much celebrated candlelight Home Tour kicking-off the event on the evening of Friday, May 4th. Mark your calendars now and follow us on social media to hear about the latest updates!
Below is the 2017 Schedule of Events. **2018 details will be available soon.**
CANDLELIGHT TOUR – FRIDAY, MAY 5
• On Friday May 5 we continue the tradition of the Candlelight Home and Garden Tour from 6 – 8 pm. The Candlelight tour is a great opportunity to meet some of the homeowners as well!
To get a FREE ticket, please sign up for a home tour volunteer slot (see the sign-up sheet above).
MAYNIA DAY EVENTS – SATURDAY, MAY 6
• Runners take your marks…the annual Midwood Miles 5K road race begins at 8:30 am in Midwood Park.
*Advance registration has ended, but sign-ups are available on race day. Please arrive early to ensure your spot.*
The Children’s Fun Run (children 12 and under) meets at the Finish Line in Midwood Park after the 5k at approximately 9:15 am.
Midwood Miles 5K Entry Fees: $15 postmarked by April 23; $20 Day of Race.
Prizes are awarded to Top Male and Female and in several age categories.
Baby Jogger Award to the top finisher running with a baby jogger.
Midwood Miles Race Director: Chris Folk, 704.634.9081.
• We love our pets in PM. At 10 am, join neighbors for everyone’s favorite event, the Midwood Maynia Pet Parade. All canines, felines and other pets – and their humans – are eligible participants. Parade participants should gather outside The Vine Church (in the front of the sanctuary) at 9:30 am. After a Blessing of the Pets, pets & their humans will be led through the streets of Midwood.
This is a don’t-miss event full of great photo opportunities. If you don’t participate but are on the route you can still take part by providing water bowls, treats and cheers of encouragement. There is no registration fee for the Pet Parade. The parade route is also featured in this issue of The Spirit.
Pet Parade Coordinator: Alison Rogers, 917.589.7891
• The always-anticipated Home and Garden Tour takes place from 10 am – 4 pm. You’ll enjoy seeing inside some of the neighborhood’s most impressive homes and gardens for tips, tricks and decorating ideas for you home.
Home and Garden Tour tickets will be sold during the event for $25 in front of The Vine Church on Belvedere Ave. To get a FREE ticket, please sign up for a home tour volunteer slot! (at top of this page).
Home and Garden Tour Director: Renee Bradley, 704.975.3816
• If you’re a kid or a kid at heart, head back over to Midwood Park for Kidswood, a celebration with activities for our youngest residents from 11am – 2pm. Our local organizations will present a variety of kid-oriented fun. Activities may include fun projects such as sand art, painting, bird house construction, dancing and bubbles galore! In between art projects, the little ones can blow off some steam in the much-loved Bounce House. See you at Kidswood!
Kidswood Director: tbd
• Fun in the Park: From noon until 7 pm, join all the other Mayniacs in Midwood Park for food, cold beverages, and a variety of activities including great live local music, friends, family, and of course – sun, lots of sun! Remember, please drink responsibly. (But then, you can always walk home after all.)
• Plant Swap: Bring some, trade some… Talk about your green thumb as part of the Midwood Community Garden at 11:30.
2017 Music Lineup
**To be updated soon with 2017 info**
Noon – 1:00 pm: It’s Snakes! Fronted by well-known local rocker Hope Nichols, this band delivers Southern indie rock with a strong measure of funk thrown in for extra fun.
1:30 – 2:30 pm: Vicarious. This trio incorporates elements of jazz fusion, heavy metal, progressive rock and funk, pushing the envelope on the definition of modern rock.
3:00 – 4:00 pm: Amy Broome Band. A forceful and energetic guitar player, Amy delivers everything from rock to blues… to Spanish flava… to Americana with a touch of country.
4:30 – 5:30 pm: Mike Strauss Band. Another local mainstay and favorite, they manage to live both inside and outside of the broad Americana spectrum.
Maynia Music Chair: Garrett of Midwood (Ladue): 704.333.6807.
Vendors in the Park:
Enjoy learning about community initiatives, buy art from neighborhood artists and look for other fun stuff in the Park during Maynia.
Midwood Maynia 2017 T-Shirts: Look for t-shirts featuring the Midwood Maynia 2017 logo. Limited quantities will be available in the park for $20 each. Or volunteer for the home tour to get a free t-shirt and ticket!
As always, the Maynia Committee has outdone themselves to schedule so much to see and do, you can’t miss having fun. Plan to spend the day running, parading, touring, and then partying in the park with your friends and neighbors. It’s the very best way welcome spring in Plaza Midwood.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We can really use your help as a volunteer for Maynia. Please keep your eye on our website for more information on how to sign up as a volunteer. We need helpers for the homes on the tour, for the membership table at the park, for Kidswood, and other areas as well. It’s great fun, and all volunteers receive a free 2017 Midwood Maynia T-shirt!