Fall Crawl is a neighborhood festival to promote awareness of the need to band trees to protect against the cankerworm infestation in our area. Lets protect our glorious tree canopy PM!
***Check back soon for pre-orders of tree banding supplies.***
In order to determine material needs measure the circumference of your trees and add.
Then order according to below list:
Fiberglass batting, 25’ long – $2.15
10 oz Goo tube – $6.20 (good for 12-15’)
32 oz Goo tube – 22.40 (good for 40-50’)
10 oz caulk – $4.80
32 oz caulk – $17.70
Metal spreader – $1.25
Tree Banding supplies available 9:00am to Noon.
Your children are back in school. The air is getting cooler. The trees are starting display their autumn finery, and your supply of last year’s Halloween candy is dwindling. This can mean a lot of things, but only one of them is really important – – it’s time for Fall Crawl!
This will be our twelfth annual festival, and it will be a great opportunity for children of all ages to celebrate Halloween and to continue our neighborhood’s successful fight against cankerworm infestation in our splendid tree canopy. For the last few years, we have been doing a great job fighting this infestation and preserving our beautiful trees, but only by (tree) banding together can we prevent the cankerworm infestation from returning.
This year’s event will be held in Midwood Park on Halloween, Saturday, October 28th. The ever popular costume parade will return for the neighborhood’s littlest ghosts ‘n goblins, and it will once again be followed by trunk-or-treating at The Vine (formerly Kilgo UMC.) Moreover, residents of our beautiful neighborhood will be able to purchase tree banding supplies at a discount in Midwood Park. This year we will also feature an interactive booth to teach Plaza Midwood residents how to create lighted holiday balls. Materials can be purchased ahead of time or at the event.
All activities in Midwood Park throughout the day are free and open to the public, including bounce houses in the park, a fantastic line-up of local musicians in the Midwood Park Amphitheatre from 12:30 until 6:00 pm. Our Fall Crawl will also feature pumpkin painting and a monarch butterfly program in the Community Garden, and it will include local artists, vendors, and lots and lots of other activities for children of all ages. (Of course, our wonderful neighbors, Birdsong Brewery will also be on site to provide adult beverages.)
FALL CRAWL SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 11:30 am: Costume Parade for Plaza Midwood kids. The parade begins in Midwood Park with a local marching band leading the goblins through the neighborhood
- Noon: Trunk or Treat at The Vine, Formerly Kilgo United Methodist Church
- 12:30 pm – 6:00 pm: Activities in the Park
- Food and beverages
- Local artists and vendors
- Great music
- Fun for all ages, including pumpkin painting and a monarch butterfly program in the Community Garden!
Fall Crawl 2017 Music
Check back soon to see the bands joining us in 2017!
UPDATE – Easy Tree Banding
Last year’s short supply of tanglefoot resulted in better and easier tree banding solutions going forward. Thanks to our PM neighbor and tree banding expert, Steve Barilovits, and his chemical engineer son Steve Jr., we now have an excellent tanglefoot alternative “StiknStop”, which will be available at the Fall Crawl. Additional tree banding supplies needed will come from Little Hardware.
The following changes will simplify tree banding and after the initial hardware investment help us to operate more cost effective, faster and less messy.
- The new batting material is made of fiberglass, is 3” wide, 25’ long. Should you have trees with deep grooves make sure to buy enough batting to create an effective cankerworm barrier under the stretch film.
- Instead of using tarpaper we will use a plastic stretch film “Grenade”, which comes on a roll with a handle, is 1000’ long and 5” wide. One roll of stretch film may last for years and can be used for all kind of wrapping needs. Wrapping the stretch film a few times around the tree is very easy. Stapling is no longer needed, just stick the last bit of film under the batting material or press against the underlaying film. The smooth surface of the plastic film, contrary to the rough tarpaper, reduces the amount of “StiknStop” needed considerably. After all, the goo is the most expensive treebanding component.
- The best improvement is dispensing “StiknStop” out of either 10 oz. or 32 oz. tubes. These are the same kind of tubes caulk is sold in. You will very likely own a caulk gun for the 10 oz. tubes, you may have to purchase a caulk gun for the 32 oz. tubes, which would be a one-time investment. The tree banding professionals use these tubes as well, since the application of the sticky stuff is so much easier, faster and less messy than using open containers. 10 oz. of “StiknStop” will last for 12 -15 feet on the plastic stretch film, which translates into 2 – 3 small/medium sized trees. To establish your demand please measure the circumference of your trees and add.
- The City of Charlotte tree banding experts suggest to apply a 3” wide band of goo at 1/16” thickness. Apply the goo preferably with a toothed spreader.
Fall Crawl is presented by The Plaza Midwood Neighborhood Association and sponsored by many generous neighbors and companies. Please look for them to be recognized at the event.
For information regarding the event and sponsorship, vendor and volunteer opportunities, please contact the Plaza Midwood Neighborhood Association at email@example.com